Old 02-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Kay

In article , Don
writes
I have just bought myself a 6 x 8 Elite Craftsman greenhouse which,
after something of a struggle, I have now finished erecting.
There is no provision for locking the door or fixing a padlock, though I
believe Elite do sell such a thing.
What sort of security do amateur gardeners usually install in or on
their greenhouses?

I have a Robinsons which has a double door. I have a chain through the
door handles fastened by combination lock (so I don't have to fuss about
where the key is). That also allows me to lock it with the doors a
little bit open in summer.

The reason I lock my greenhouse is a) we have a shared driveway so we
can't gate off the access to the greenhouse b) some of the cacti in it
I've had for more than 40 years so I'd be a bit cross if anything
happened to them.

If my greenhouse were in a secure back garden, I probably wouldn't lock
it. I'd also be careful not to leave tools in it that could be used to
help break into the house.

But even in its current insecure situation, I've had no attempts at
damage to greenhouse or contents in 14 years, even though in that time
we've had one sneak thief and one water butt stolen, and next door
neighbours but one have had a car stolen from the driveway, 3 thefts
from their garage, and we've both had paving stone thefts.
--
Kay