Old 02-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Phil L

Don wrote:
:: On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:19:47 -0000, "Nick Gray"
:: wrote:
::
::: Hi Don,
:::
::: I don't have an Elite greenhouse, however, with my greenhouse
::: I've drilled a hole in the top aluminium runner, to the left of
::: the door when shut (but this depends on which way your door
::: opens). I then feed the shackle of my padlock through this and
::: snap it shut, preventing the door from being opened. I also
::: squirt a little oil in the lock to prevent it sticking (although
::: you can now get weatherproof padlocks).
:::
::: HTH
:::
::: Cheers
:::
::: Nick
::
:: Thanks, Nick, that sounds like just the thing for me. I'll look to
:: see if it will work on my greenhouse.
::
:: Perhaps you would give me your opinion on another matter on which
:: I've been posting to a DIY ng.
:: The erection instructions for my greenhouse say it should be
:: anchored to the ground by drilling through the steel flange on the
:: base into the concrete slabs on which it stands.
:: I can see that I will have trouble in getting the screws in as
:: well as drilling the holes. I've been provided with 10 x 2" wood
:: screws & rawl plugs to be placed three each side of the 8' x 6'
:: base and two each end. Since I can't budge the greenhouse with
:: just the 3mm toughened glass in the roof. I can't imagine the wind
:: shifting it with the side glass fitted as well. I'm wondering if
:: there isn't a heck of a lot of overkill here and how many
:: gardeners do anchor their greenhouse down. My garden is quite well
:: sheltered by hedges and is on the leeward side of the house..

Don't underestimate the effect a severe gale can have on a greenhouse!

If you've not already glazed the lower parts it will be easier to get the
drill in and drill through the steel, change the bit to a masonry one and
drill into the concrete and get it screwed down...if you have already glazed
it, it could prove to be a bit of a headache, unless it's easy to just take
a few of the panes out to do the job?