Old 03-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Happy'Cam'per

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message
algae, it is not dependent upon ammonia related products (including
nitrite and nitrate), and can directly process molecular nitrogen.

I too thought this but its not true. The type of Cyano that infects OUR fish
tanks does not have the ability to fix Nitrogen, its wrong. Apparently only
Cyano with heterocysts have this ability. The species in our tanks are sans
heterocysts and therefore rely on a Nitrogen source for food.

Since it isn't dependent upon photosynthesis, a blackout may stunt it
but won't kill it - it can employ other food sources.

See above...

I'm not seeking a sense of accomplishment, I'm just trying to get rid
of the BGA. I've done *loads* of gravel cleanings, scrubbing, water
changes, and filter changes. In my experience, as long as the
conditions in the tank support BGA, any cells that escape the cleaning
will spawn the problem over again.

Where do you think it came from in the first place? Once you dose those
anti'B's you're going to kill alll the Cyano cells but the conditions in
your tank will remain the same, they will return once the AB's wear off.