Old 04-11-2004, 01:01 AM

BGA are(the species we deal with), as are all algae/plants, totally
dependent on light.

BGA are not plants, they are bacteria. Though photosynthesis is the
preferred mode of nutrition, it is not the only method. (Palinska,
Katarzyna A; Horgan, William J and Krumbein, Wolfgang, E (May 2002)
Cyanobacteria. In: Nature Encyclopedia of Life Sciences. London: Nature
Publishing Group.)

The species that infest our tanks is specifically Oscillitoria
splendens.
If you can show me a reference that says this species of BGA is able
to survive without light(or the genus), I'm all ears.

I specifically qualified my statement above as well(the species we
deal with).
There are a few plants and even a few species of algae that are
parasitic(some don't even have any chloroplast)on other
organisms(therefore indirectly dependent on light), but none that grow
in our tanks, and that is what we are discussing, not eveything on the
planet.

Antibiotics do work, my point is not that Myacin does or does not
work, I just offers a better method that takes 3 days and is 100%
free and addresses the long term problem that you have.

Well, the ehtromycin is effectively free, since I already had it on
hand. My supply expires in a few months, so it's not as though I'm
likely to lose use of it by employing it against BGA.

Nope, so go for it. When you get another species algae, you cannot use
EM against, then what? You kill one and do not correct the problem,
another will come in. While the killing part can be done both ways,
the fixing it so it does not come back part is another matter that is
never discussed in advice with EM.
Not everyone has EM sitting around, not everyone can get EM. Everyone
can use a blackout. KNO3 is needed to help the plants grow, EM methods
never suggest this.

Ok, thanks, but I'm REALLY not interested in a holy war. You've clearly
got a lot of emotional investment in the subject, and I'm afraid I
really don't care enough to get into a protracted discussion over it.

The proof is in the pudding, you try it, then you'll know.
I know EM works. I know Blackout works and I'm the only person that's
suggested an effective method of prevention and culture of BGA.
There's no arguement or issue, the experiment is repeatable with both
methods if you try it.
You have not tried this but you wanted to suggest otherwise based on
acendotal support rather than practical controlled methodology. The
Krib and the other folks did not do that. I know they did not becuase
they would have found the same thing. I've done this 20 or more times
again and again. It's not just for phycologist either, any aquarist
can repeat the same things I've done and support that type of
investigation. But if you have not done that, then it seems odd. But
I wanted to know, so now I do so I can and do speak with confidence
about the issue.

You are new to weeds/plants/algae, I've very old hat(30+ years now)
and work on weeds professionally and did my Master's on algae and
BGA's in FW.

I'm not asking for you to believe me really, only to try it and see
for yourself that it works, or if not, why it didn't.
I totally understand your views and that you just want to fix the
problem and move on as well. I was new once also and had lots of
opposing views. I got ****ed off and figure it out for myself.

Now I've figured out many things that have really helped a lot of
folks grow plants better because of this.

If you want to suggest my experimenting on BGA is flawed, incorrect, I
overlooked something or questionable etc without supporting your
contention, you will get flack, it's nothing personal at you, it's
about the issue of the blackout and BGA. I truly welcome critical
review and questions.

If your only goal is to kill algae, you'll keep having more algae in
the future.
Just a different species.

The focus should be on the plants, EM methods never address that, just
a method to kill BGA. Focus on the plant's needs and you will have far
less algae/BGa issues in the future. Specifically KNO3 dosing for EM.

Don't worry, I ain't this crotchety in person

Regards,
Tom Barr