Old 04-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Eric Schreiber

Nope, so go for it. When you get another species algae, you cannot use
EM against, then what? You kill one and do not correct the problem,
another will come in.

You're making an unfounded assumption about my plans. Perhaps not an
unreasonable one, but I assure you I don't plan to just continuously
treat with EM.

You have not tried this but you wanted to suggest otherwise based on
acendotal support rather than practical controlled methodology.

Forgive me, but from where I'm sitting (e.g. some random guy reading
Usenet comments from some other random guy) all suggestions are
anecdotal. Even yours, since I don't know you from Adam. While I
suppose Usenet might be considered 'peer reviewed', I think you'll
agree that it lacks scientific rigor.

What I would suggest to you is that you put together a detailed
document describing your method step by step, its benefits (and
drawbacks, if any), and the methodology you used to arrive at it. Then
put it on a web site so that people will have a better opportunity to
review and understand it. If you don't have a site of your own, I'd be
happy to put it up on mine, though it would be far better off on one of
the 'major players' sites, like Netmax's or Chucks.

I'm not asking for you to believe me really, only to try it and see
for yourself that it works, or if not, why it didn't.

As I mentioned before, I intend to try your approach should the
anti-bacterial method fail.

If you want to suggest my experimenting on BGA is flawed, incorrect, I
overlooked something or questionable etc without supporting your
contention, you will get flack

I don't have a lab at my disposal, so like many hobbyists I rely on
internet research for things to try. A Google search turned up lots of
people stating that blackout doesn't work, that's all. No mention of
your method (which goes well beyond simple blackout) was made or
implied.

The focus should be on the plants, EM methods never address that, just
a method to kill BGA. Focus on the plant's needs and you will have far
less algae/BGa issues in the future. Specifically KNO3 dosing for EM.

Question - you've mention 'the plants' several times. You are referring
to higher plants, not algae, correct? As in 'planted tank'? If so, I
think I mentioned that the tank where I have this problem is not
planted (except that I tossed in some Najas in an attempt to rob the
BGA of nutrients). Any specific suggestions for long-term prevention of
BGA in a non-planted tank?

Don't worry, I ain't this crotchety in person

Most of us aren't. Oddly, I'm told that I am. Years of practice.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com