Old 04-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Dave Gillingham

Sadly, Reka, I have had no experience with flasks, so can't comment
directly on quarantine regulations. I do know that a couple of the
commercial orchid growers I know *export* both bare root & flask
plants. All sorts of red tape & hygiene requirements. I would
imagine that imports might be acceptable if the relevant criteria are
met. (But don't ask me what they might be!)

Three suggestions for you, Gramma.
1. Contact a nearby nursery for advice (listed in
www.orchidsonline.com.au under "nurseries - Australia"; and also the
Brisbane Orchid Society nursery listing
(http://www.users.bigpond.com/gmcorbin/bos/Nursery.html) has a couple
of Victorian nurseries. AussieDigi is from Melbourne I believe - he
may be able to help.
2. Contact the Customs service & ask what their attitude is re flask
importation.
3. Contact any interesting overseas supplier directly, & ask if they
export to Oz. If they do, they'll certainly know what procedures are
required (at least, one would hope so!).

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:15:31 +0100, "Reka"
wrote:

I dare say flasks would be exempt from that law since they are produced in a
sterile environment, but you would have to ask another Aussie in the group. We
have at least three from Australia: AusDigi, Dave Gillingham and Bolero. Peter
is from Belgium, I am in Italy (though American), Martha from Poland, several
from the UK and Canada, and I know there are other Europeans at least lurking.
Should be more that escape my lousy memory at the moment.

Dave Gillingham