Old 04-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Martin Sykes

"Kay" wrote in message

We bother with window locks even though 'all a thief has to do is smash
a pane of glass' - in other words, we consider having to smash glass a
deterrent in a situation where there's something worth stealing the
other side, so there's no reason to feel it wouldn't be a deterrent in
the greenhouse situation (except, as you've pointed out, the more
careful thief can remove a few clips)

3-point window locks on a modern window are worth it because if you've ever
had to break into a modern double-glazed house because you've lost your
keys, you'll know that it's a sledgehammer job to break one. Greenhouse
glass easily breaks from a carelessly kicked stone.

But I seriously think the best thing to do is to keep your tools somewhere
else. I suppose it's possible that someone would steal a plant but it's not
a common problem as far as I know. Any more than them digging them up from
the garden. Even expensive plants in the greenhouse wouldn't be much of a
draw assuming they could even identify them. I have yet to hear of a case of
a burglar leaving the TV/DVD/video/jewelry and taking the poinsettia instead
:-))

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )