Old 04-11-2004, 09:55 AM
jane

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:14:41 -0000, "Anthony Stokes"
wrote:

~
~"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
~ LOL. Just out of interest, how did you think the crocus were going to get
~ through metal sheeting!?
~
~ Why not put some mouse traps down. Probably only a few doing the damage.
~
~Have looked in the garden at first light this morning to find that more
~crocus bulbs have been stolen :-((

It's probably squirrels. They destroyed all my croci the first year I
was in the current house, and since then I've grown them in pots under
an inch-wide aluminium mesh. They don't get through that. Ditto for
tulips.

The pots of exhaused corms which I've buried in the garden to recover
in the past don't get noticed. I think they see freshly moved soil and
wonder what's buried there.

jane

~
~Think I will try soaking briefly in paraffin (?) before planting again and
~re-covering with bricks.
~
~It takes weeks (months) for the bulbs to reach the surface, so no problem
~with covering with solid heavy objects until shoots reach the surface.
~The small predator(s) do not seem at all interested in digging out well
~established and previous years' bulbs, it's only freshly planted bulbs that
~get promptly removed.
~
~Anthony
~