Old 04-11-2004, 10:10 AM
anton

"J Jackson" wrote in message
Steve Harris wrote:
: I have a 4 year old apple tree "Ashmeads Kernal" in an urban garden It
: had a little blossom for the first time this May and apparently set
: fruit which grew to about 1" in diameter before dropping off by
: August :-(

: Is this:

: - Perfectly normal at this age?

It's not unlikely. On the other hand, it seems a bit slow even to flower.
Was it a maiden that's been in place 3 years or a 2-year old that's been in
place 2 years?

: - An indication that pollination failed?

Don't think so, or the applets wouldn't have grown to 1".

: - Some other problem?

If the tree hasn't got the resources to grow the fruit further, it will dump
the fruit. So this suggests that it was short of food or short of water
(or short of roots to get both).

As it's only flowered for the first time this year, adn at least succeeeded
in getting fruit as far as the 1" stage, then your tree is getting into
condition to bear some apples, though it is being a bit slow about it.

I'd suggest that you examine it's growing conditions- is it being competed
with by other plants/ trees/ grass? What sort of soil is it in?

--
Anton
www.btinternet.com/~treesandfruit/