Old 04-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:26:16 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

I don't think I know any mushroomers who follow the 'Aww, just have

go' philosophy. No doubt there's a scientific explanation...

There was that 19th century parson who was an enthusiastic
fungus-eater who sampled everything he found. He always kept a
stomach pump to hand, just in case.

I've read some of his accounts ( featured in the book 'Mushroom Magic
- which accompanied the television series of some years ago ).
Apparently he had need of it.

I've suffered a similar fate myself twice, though through an allergic
reaction to an otherwise edible species, and I can say with heartfelt
sincerity that 'much purging, great sweats and loathsome dread' is a
pretty accurate description of what ensued.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk