Old 04-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Mike Prager

Phisherman wrote:

The hort oil should work. Insecticial soap and using a soft brush
should work too. [...] For a more drastic cure, set the plant in a trash
bag, spray with malathion, and close up the bag for 2 days. Repeat
the procedure in 10 days. [...] I had two parlor palms heavily infested
with scale, and finally got rid of them using a series of systemic
insecticide treatments.

Agree with the above. In FL, we had several encounters with
scale on rare or otherwise desireable plants. The oil and/or
soap controlled minor infestations, but for heavy ones, I had
to resort to Orthene (a systemic), which seemed to me the
least frightening of a bunch of nasty chemicals.

Some synthetic insecticides can cause severe eye damage and
other problems if ingested or on contact. I followed label
instructions to the letter (gloves, long-sleeved clothing, eye
protection, washing all clothes separately after application)
and emerged unscathed. Saved some beautiful plants, too.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)