Old 04-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Nikotine is very toxic for many living organisms
like chlorine for life in general
if you use nicotine on aphids it works well if you use chlorine you
kill aphids and plant

I can't recall how many times we've been through this before,
but it is a VERY bad idea to use nicotine as a pesticide --
ESPECIALLY do-it-yourself concoctions whose potency you have no
way of measuring as which are quite likely to slop onto your
skin during preparation!

one minute nobody is going to take synthetized concentrate nicotine to
make our own pesticine
one shoudl be mad to do so
I think that we are talking with people with common sense
if you throw a cigarett butt in a small water pond where are
mosquitos larvaes they will die ..
this can be done...

if you take your cigarett butts ( tehy have concentarte nicotine as
smoke what is left from what you inhaled :-D)
and make them simmer in water and spry it on your pests -aphods it
might work well and stinl as well too

and all the experimentaions should stop here !

Anyway:

From: Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening (which, normally is much
in favor of so-called "natural" pesticides):

snip

"Extracted from tobacco plants, nicotine is so poisonous that
it's not available to home gardeners in its pure form.
Suppliers sell only nicotine sulfate, a formulation that's
slightly less toxic but still potentially fatal if inhaled,
ingested, or absorbed through the skin. . . . Nicotine kills
soft-bodied sucking pests . . . ."

and people are still smoking after reading that?

so fungi live evyrwhere some of them are sensible to some
chemicals some are not

AND, some of which (fungi) are especially important to the GOOD
health and well-being of plants (including your bonsai).

of course but in here it was a common undertstemente that we are
talking of Evil fungy :-D

I might also add here that nicotine not only kills BAD bugs, it
kills good ones, too -- and, maybe, your cat.

well it talkes ( according what I read many years ago
one drop on ha horse skin to provoke high fever
in the '40 chewed cigars and put the the cheweed parts under arm
pits could provoke high fewer and kill crab lice..
I always heard it bzût never tested personally :-)

There are so many, properly prepared, well-tested,
environmentally safe (when used properly) pesticides available
today, I can't imagine why anyone would be so stupid as to play
with fire of this type!

exactly , but I heard in an amercian film that someone

used a product against aphids, and that was containing nicoztine to

kill a love partner .
the way is very pornographic ..ah these hollwoodian TV films ...:-)

so Nocotine is NO NO!
have a nice evening
Day 1 of Bush-land era

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4