Old 04-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Helena Handbasket

I went to a gravel company nearby the river and got coarse sand from them.
I can't exactly remember what size but I'm thinking it was 15. My husband
said 18 but I'm thinking it was more 15 or maybe 12. The added plus is that
it is a pleasing shade of brown that matches with the soil components a lot
better. It ran me about $1 for 100 lb.. You have to pay a handling charge
of about $10. The more you buy the less the cost overall but it is HEAVY
and I have yet to have gone through the 100 pounds. I have small trees
though. They put it in bags but you'll want them in smaller bags if you
don't want to carry a large bag. Also a tarp under it helps if the bags
break.

--
(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨`·. *katie**¤

Hi,

I am starting to make my own soil, using turface, pine bark, and sand.
I have a bag of Turface, and the screened pine bark. However,I have
not been able to locate any coarse sand at my local garden centers.

I am here in Warner Robins, Georgia (Pretty much on the line between
Zone's 7 and 8). So if anyone knows of a place within say an hour of
Macon, that would be great. But, not the Monastery, I try buy as much
of my stuff from them as possible. It's just they dont sell the
sand/gravel I am looking for seperatley. Granted, they sell premixed
soil, and Akadama.

There are several sand suppliers and quarry's within a reasonable
distance from my house. In talking with one of these places on the
phone, I found that I was not able to describe in their terminology
what I was looking for.

Can anyone advise me on what to say to these guys when I am talking
with them? I am even considering driving to one of these places with
a bag of soil and screens to show them how big (or small) I need the
sand gains to be.

Thanks, in advance

Jay Jimerson