Old 04-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Phisherman

Ashes are potash-rich for most plants. Avoid putting ashes on plants
that are acid-loving. You can store the ashes in bins--it will keep
as long as you keep the ashes absolutely dry. Ashes are great for
creating barriers around plants that are attacked by slugs or snails.
But, why burn leaves when you can make a compost pile?

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:42:04 GMT, Mike Prager
§kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote:

We live in an area where we burn leaves and other yard waste.
Would the resulting ash be high in trace elements and be good
to sprinkle around plants?

Also, I have heard ash is alkaline. Should I mix in some
powdered sulfur before sprinkling? Most of our plants are
acid loving (viburnums, azaleas, camellias).

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)