Old 04-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Eric Schreiber

I try to help folks grow plants, not kill algae.
Then they don't have to kill algae.

Works like a charm in my planted tank. I do have a small amount of
algae, but nothing that the residents can't keep up with. I've had
remarkably good luck with that tank, considering I started it as a
complete noob.

Easy, chelated copper will kill all algae and many
parasites/Oomycota(ich etc).

Despite the evidence to the contrary (eg, me dumping antibiotics into
my tank), I try to avoid chemical treatments as much as possible. I do
have some Mardel CopperSafe here, but nowhere on the dang label does it
indication precisely what it is. I'll have to research.

You can increase aeration/current also.

That sort of thing tends to **** off my bettas

Try water sprite also, it's a much better "competitor" since it
floats, has access to CO2/light, blocks the light better(plant's main
competitive advantage over algae) and grows like mad.

I came across a tiny amount of duckweed (scooped from a nearby river,
washed thoroughly). I put four plantlets in the tank a week ago, and
now I've easily got a dozen. Should work well as a substitute.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com