Old 02-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Ann in Houston

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
wrote:

Why don't you both move this trivial ping pong 'conversation' to a

newsgroup
on the topic of news groups?

Because we were trying to share a little net etiquette with people on
this forum like you that top post.

Why is top posting worse than egregious spelling? I don't mean the
obvious, occasional typo. I mean using the wrong forms of words, or a
complete lack of quick proofreading. Let anyone mention it, and you would
think they had insulted the poster's ethnicity. Top posting, on the other
hand, is scorned beyond all reason, in my book. I don't see the difference.
Regular etiquette has some outdated rules that have gone by the wayside as
no longer relevant or appreciated. Why can't some of the original
netiquette rules go the same way? Are there some newsreaders out there that
really make top-posting hard to follow?
As for not mentioning spelling mistakes, once someone here referred to a
goldfish "bowel". A couple of well worded, gentle jokes were made and most
people had a good laugh, including the OP. Even after the OP chimed in with
his or her contribution to the humor of it, there were people who posted
with severe indignation at someone's spelling being commented upon. Even
when the original poster responded to that, to say they thought it was
funny, there were those who weren't satisfied.
It all seems the same to me.