Old 04-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Mike Prager

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful answers. Many asked, why
not compost the leaves? While I appreciate the idea, the lot
is exposed on three sides, and we haven't found a good place
for a compost heap. Also, the leaves are all oak & in my
experience take years to rot. If I mow over them first, they
aren't picked up well by the sweeper and are hard on the
grass. The yard is too large for us to rake by hand.

We did try a tumbling compost maker and will put it into
service again to absorb some of the leaves. It's been in the
garage since we tired of moving it in and out during hurricane
season.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)