Old 05-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Janet
Baraclough.. writes
The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

Can either of you say if the recipients' addresses were harvested from
your addressbooks, (or were definitely not in your addressbooks)?

Other than my own address, the recipients were not in the address book
of my present PC, but they were in a previous one. One was an urgler a
long time ago. I did not transfer the old address book, or any urg data
when this PC was built two years ago.

Thanks.

It can't be coincidence that the fake-urgler-ID
viruses are being received by other urglers.

Yes it can.

If the machine sending out the viruses is used by another urgler, then
it's quite possible they have various urgler email addresses in their
address books. So if the virus extracts the addresses (for the fake from
and the to addresses) form the machines address book, sooner or later it
will use two urgler addresses.

Not in this case, but I've had virus emails appearing to come from other
members of mailing list and newsgroups before. It could be someone
playing silly bugger but I don't think so.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: