Old 05-11-2004, 03:17 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry" @ . wrote in message ...

Pressure treated wood= Cheaper

Plastic= Longer lasting, less maint.

Larry

Right so far, but expand your horizons. Deck from mahogany or ipe will last
30 or 40 years with no maintenance. Put a coat of Penofin oil every couple
of years and figure it will last over 50 years. It looks richer and is
better constructed. This past summer I bought some mahogany decking to build
a bench and paid $1.80 a lineal foot while ipe was $2.10.

Plastic may last, but it is more flexible, requires closer spaced supports.
I've not seen a deck complete with it, but looking at the material in the
store, I was not impressed.
Ed