Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
dalecochoy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Walker"
Subject: [IBC] Help: locating coarse sand as a soil component

Jay: Ask them for blasting sand.

Alan Walker
-----Original Message-----

I'd not suggest that. Blasting sand is the finest silica sand. Most swimming
pool places carry a filter sand that is a fairly coarse/clean silica sand.
Pretty good for the silica sand part of soil mix. If you can locate a good
gravel yard nearby they might have a nice silica sand that is a little more
coarse. That's where mine comes from. You can get it cheap by weight so
bring some trash cans, but they usually sell it in bags also, which cost
quite a bit more than bulk. Any kind of "soil product" is MUCH cheaper by
the ton/yard price than bagged!

I am even considering driving to one of these places
with
a bag of soil and screens to show them how big (or small) I need
the
sand gains to be.

That's exactly what I'd do. That's how you source what you want. Which most
people won't bother with. That's why bonsai soil is $30-60 a bag!! I'd
sooner shot myself in the foot than pay that!! When the day comes that I
can't mix up my own soil....It'll be time to drop out of bonsai :)
Regards,
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++