Old 05-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Timothy

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:03:50 +0000, Mike Prager wrote:

I'm in the market for new loppers. I've had the old ones for 18 yrs, and
my fingers bang together when they close.

Recommendations?

The local hardware store has a nice-looking pair of bypass loppers for
about $30.00. By mail order, Felco are $65! I really like my Felco
pruners, but can loppers be worth that?

I have always used bypass pruners (said to damage the wood less), but I
see some of the heavier loppers are anvil types.

What do folks like?

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email
address to reply.)

With tools, you generaly get what you pay for in this world. If you can
afford the felco loppers, I would go for those. Other wise I would tend
to stay with corona. My corona loppers have lasted six years of commercial
use and abuse with little wear. My third choice would be fiskar. These are
somewhat on the same level as corona now'adays.

(A soap box moment...)
I would tend to steer clear of anvil pruners/loppers. They take much more
muscle to operate and they do much more damage to the item that you
pruning. I could only see using anvils on dead wood, but I tend to use a
hand saw in those moments.

--
Trees are like children, train them right when their young.....
or spend a lifetime trying to correct them.

GIGAMAIL by X-Privat: http://www.x-privat.org/gigamail.php