Old 05-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Lover
We live in the Denver area and are moving to a house that has no lawn at present. I want to plant some grass seed mix over this fall and winter, so it sprouts by spring, but we DO NOT want Kentucky Bluegrass that requires a lot of water and mowing.

I've heard of native grasses like Buffalo but there are supposedly pros and cons to it, like it sprouts up late and dies off early. They say to mix it with other kinds so that they sprout early and stay later. Ok, what kinds?

We're looking for a lawn that we can water once a week and maybe mow once a month, and it would still look good? That would be great. Can we do that?

What seed mixes should I look for, for that, which would grow well in Denver?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Popcorn Lover

Hi Popcorn Lover,
Congratulations on your new home! I would suggest that you ask your local extension service which would be the best turf grasses to use. Before you do, you might want to read these sites so you can familiarize yourself with the different types of grass. I will also include links on how to plant your new lawn, lay sod if you choose and how to organically maintain your lawn. I'm also including a link to the Colorado Extension Service. You might even find recommendations at the site.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/

Turf Types:
http://www.turfgrasssod.org/lawninst...hern_lawns.htm
http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8035.pdf
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/turfSpecies...ason/Tour.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/TURFSPECIES/
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/turfSpecies...gement/pH.html

Seeding and Sod:
http://www.garden.org/articles/scrip...;subch=default
http://www.hortmag.com/articles/seedinglawn.asp
http://www.michaelholigan.com/Depart...p?ts%5Fid=5741
http://turfgrass.com/planting/rake.html

Organic Lawn Care
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/compost/organic.htm
http://www.theorganicreport.com/page...ucontentID=436
http://www.organicgardening.com/library/lawn.html
http://216.109.89.116/backyardwildli...rganiclawn.cfm
http://www.members.tripod.com/~Garde.../index-11.html

Water:
http://www.dof.virginia.gov/rfb/rain-gardens.shtml

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.