Old 06-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Kay

In article , Sadie Sadie.1f9cbp@n
ews.gardenbanter.co.uk writes

The trouble is I have never had a greenhouse and I don't know what are
essential features and which are money wasters. Although I am very
keen, I don't have a lot of money to spend. I would love to have
somewhere large enough to be comfortable and entice me in during the
dark winter time.

Have any of you advice or experiences that I could benefit from?

Whatever size you get will be too small ;-)

You will need opening windows as it will get very hot and you will need
air circulation - automatic window openers are good as there will be
spring days when it just doesn't occur to one that the greenhouse is
getting too hot.

Other than that, you'll want to consider somewhere to sit, arm chair if
possible, electric light, heating to extend the growing season into
winter, a radio - and I find a solar powered one is excellent 'cos
there's plenty of sunlight in a greenhouse.

It's also convenient to have plenty of work space for potting things up,
and therefore storage space for bags of compost and spare flower pots.
And somewhere for a few tools and reference books.
--
Kay