Old 06-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura J
Hi all,

I have a small (15 sqft) raised bed garden which I planted for the first
time this past summer. I've pulled up most of what was in there except for
a perennial lavender I have in one corner. Can anyone recommend some kind
of ground cover to plant for the winter? Or should I just mulch it? Just
don't want to lose that precious soil I've got in there.

I'm in Boston, zone 6A.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Laura

Hi Laura,

If you are going to plant flowers and/or shrubs in the spring, I'd put on a 3" layer of compost and cover with shredded mulch. You're soil will love you and so will your plants in the spring.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.