Old 06-11-2004, 03:25 AM

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:17:27 -0800, George Pontis
wrote:

I am interested in try to put some aquarium plants in clay pots. Can someone with
experience offer some details on how to do it and the selection of the pots ? For
example, do we look for pots with holes in the bottom or not ? About how big a pot
for a some typical plants ? What kind of soils ? That kind of thing.

FWIW, the smallest that I found at a local nursery was about 2" high, 2 1/8
diameter at the top tapering down to 1 1/4 at the bottom. No holes. The 10" tall
Amazon Swords at the LFS come in plastic baskets that are a bit larger than this
and the roots are already bulging out looking for more space.

George, I wouldn't bother with the clay pots. What I use in my tanks
are the 2lb. margarine containers for the large swords, crypts, etc.
Tons of info on the web as to what to use for substrate material.
I use vermiculite, soil, peat moss, red clay in various combinations
topped off with a 1" layer of gravel ( I like to experiment). These
containers are all in bare bottom breeding and growout tanks. If you
are setting up a display aquarium you should follow the suggestion
from Tom Barr and others on how and what to use for your substrate.