Old 06-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Gerry McKenzie

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message . uk...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

[snip]

I don't think I know any mushroomers who follow the 'Aww, just have

go' philosophy. No doubt there's a scientific explanation...

There was that 19th century parson who was an enthusiastic
fungus-eater who sampled everything he found. He always kept a
stomach pump to hand, just in case.

It is said that if you salt your mushrooms for a day and then boil them
for a long time in brine, you can eat any of them.

However, while it's true that as most of the flavours are oil-soluble
and the proteins remain too, (in the main,) this isn't a practice I've
tried, nor would I recommend anyone else to try it.

Amanita muscaria is *SAID* to be edible if it is peeled first, but I
wouldn't want to try that either - especially as the flavour is said to
be very bitter. Might just as well eat Boletus felleus, which is bitter
without (AFAIK) any poisonous effects.

Had a plateful of bluelegs, mergez (spicy N.African lamb sausage) and
baked spud for lunch today.

Sorry to go back to basics but I have had many Mushrooms on my lawn
and never bothered with them until they have gone what could be eating
them ? The garden is quite secluded so no humans ase involved. One day
they are present the next clean as a wistle could it be hedgehogs?