Old 06-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Tim Tyler wrote:
ajr wrote or quoted:

After some success growing Kohl Rabi this season, I want to plant some more
'unusual vegetables next year.

I've had a chat with the chap at the local hardware/gardening store, and
whilst he can order some varieties through Sutton's, who he deals with, he
cannot get hold of others. For example he can order Salsify and Scorzonera,
but not Good King Henry - no idea what any of these taste like, but they all
look interesting!

Both scorzenera and salsify are good, but I have not been very
successful recently. I think that they need more sun that my garden
has been getting :-( They are nearly as fartaceous as Jerusalem
artichokes.

You can blanche Good King Henry and eat it like asparagus (it was
called Lincolnshire asparagus). It's not as good, but is worth
trying. The green leaves are much like any of the other coarse
'perpetual spinaches' (e.g. New Zealand).

Be warned: It seeds like the devil and has deep roots, and can
rapidly become a pest. You should be careful to ensure that it does
not seed too vigorously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.