Old 06-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Sadie Sadie is offline
Registered User

Location: Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
"Sadie" wrote ...

I would like a potting shed, greenhouse etc probably getting my end
design made up for me. I have never had a greenhouse and I don't know what are essential features and which are money wasters. I would love to have somewhere large enough to be comfortable and entice me in during the
dark winter time.

the design, fixtures and fittings will depend on what you want to grow

Keep a separate potting shed for potting and keeping the "stuff" and the
greenhouse for plants only

Position the greenhouse towards the northern edge of your property
You want roof vents and low down louver vents both of which can be
automatically controlled, which I recommend.
use a heater with a built in thermostat or one with a separate thermostat.
Whilst it's a good idea to save the rainwater from the roof for watering
plants it's also good to have a ready water supply nearby to supplement it.
Get decent benches for the greenhouse if you wish to grow flowering plants
and a shelf underneath is good for storing those plants that die back over
winter (with pots on their sides to ensure they keep dry).

--
Regards
Bob

I do intend having water and electicity laid on so your recommendations about heating and automatic vents will be accommodated.

I am so new to gardening (about 4-5 years) I don't know what I want to grow, so far I have had great pleasure in taking cuttings and I think I would like to have some tender plants that would need overwintering but I work full time and find I can't give enough time to look after seeds properly (although it doesn't usually stop me trying), I want to give everything a go.

I can see this developing over the next few years into an all consuming hobby that will see me well into retirement (not for a few years yet though). I won't be replacing the greenhouse/shed I get now when I retire so I am planning for it to last for at least the next thirty years.

Thanks again to all of you for your advice
Sadie