Old 06-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Kay

In article , Sadie Sadie.1fb1fo@n
ews.gardenbanter.co.uk writes

I take your point about water, I will have a tap installed (mainly to
fill my kettle) I would like to use a water butt but haven't the
experience for the advantages of keeping it inside to be obvious, I can
only think of not having to carry the water as far.

Does the water in a
butt get smelly and stagnant?

That's what would worry me. Lots of light and warmth = algae. I'd prefer
a solution of water butt outside and pipe into the greenhouse. Or, as I
do, water butt outside, and just dip the watering can (no waiting around
for trickle from tap to fill can).

Otoh, if you are watering plants in the winter, and outside butt gets
too cold, and you have to leave a can in the greenhouse for a few hours
to warm the water.

and wouldn't it take up valuable space
inside the greenshouse?

Yes.

Whereabouts are you? Do you have hard or soft water? If your water is
really soft, then it'd be OK for watering plants. If it's hard, then you
do need a rainwater butt and use the tap just for the kettle.

If you're piping anything into the greenhouse (electricity, water,
telephone line ...) through a buried conduit, remember to leave a piece
of cord in place along the conduit to make it easy if you ever want to
add another cable.
--
Kay