Old 06-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Oxymel of Squill" contains these words:

I built mine and it's still the most amazing architectural achievement
known
to man, you can keep yer pyramids.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble.htm

It's 13 x 6 x 6 to 10 tall, biggest I
could squeeze in. Cost me £700, would have been £3.5K commercially.

Cost me around a fiver, but is beyond price.

But go
for the biggest you can because it's vast in winter and then in spring you
fill it with seedlings and each seedling then demands an acre of its own

Nah, you need a greenhouse for that.

and
your greenhouse shrinks down to a jungled nothing in summer. I used
twinwall plastic for the roof, which holds in the heat for reasonable
cosiness in winter, with automatic vents for summer heat.

Oh. Well, why didn't you say so? It helps if you repla *AFTER* the text
you're quoting.

Make sure you have electricity multi socket for propagators, lights, fans,
lawnmower, I have cctv cam. And think about water too, I have a butt on a
nearby roof which gives rainwater on tap, otherwise you'll be lugging
watering cans about twice a day, and make sure the door is big enough for
your wheelbarrow.

If we're still talking about greenhouses (and I am, now) and you intend
having (say) tomatoes and/or cucumbers growing in soil rather than pots
or gro-bags, you'll need to surround the structure with a trench and
bury ½" wire netting, or corrugated iron, or similar, to keep the moles
out.

Worms like greenhouses, especially the watering régime. The dampest bits
are always under the plants. Moley will burrow in a straight-ish line
beneath all your plants and bork them.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/