Old 07-11-2004, 12:10 AM
David Ross

gasdoctor wrote:

I have a similar question,

I planted 2 apple trees last spring (2 year olds, a james greieve and a
granny smith), they have taken really well. Im now moving house. Is it
worth taking them with me or just starting again with new ones.

Starting with new trees, you may actually have better results.
Trees bought at a nursery were grown and then dug specifically for
replanting. The trees you have in the ground are less likely to
survive moving.

If you are selling the old house, be sure the buyer signs a release
before you remove any shrubs or trees. In most cases, what is
growing in the ground belongs with the property.

If you were renting, anything you planted belongs to your
landlord. This is the same as any permanently installed fixtures
inside the house (e.g., chandelier, built-in oven). Get a signed
release before you remove any plants.

Notice that I did not say you absolutely cannot remove plants. I
merely indicated that you need to protect yourself against legal
claims on those plants. Also, I did not say moved trees will not
survive at all. I merely said that they are less likely to survive
than newly purchased trees.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/