Old 07-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Gary

On 10/27/04 5:56 AM, in article , "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

I looking for a cheap 6'x6' greenhouse.

Anyone know of any good makes/suppliers (in the South-East of UK).

Or any to avoid.

Any tips ?

I'm looking to overwinter some plants, start seedlings and grow a few
toms/cucumbers and maybe melons next year.

Oh, the magic word-Cheap! This does mean that you don't care what it looks
like? You are more interested in results? Cheap results...? This is what I
have done. I send this for your consideration.
Get any old European tent of your required size and then cover it with
plastic...the cheap stuff....the plastic that covers mattresses and box
springs...the plastic that is thrown out by furniture stores. You will have
to replace it in about two years because it is not UV resilient.
My CF (cold frame), a GH has heat...same thing as CF but a GH has heat...my
CF is an old tent frame from my stay in France-vintage 1962 + -. It was not
being used so now that I'm into gardening I put it to good use. Use clamps
to keep the plastic in place. You will find ways to solve the various
problems with wind and such. For white fly problems I remove the plastic and
let the elements work. No pesticides, just the elements.
I am working on making it 'look' better than it has but then every new idea
can be improved. Cheers,
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada
PS: I picked tomatoes today...and have had a variety like beefeater ripen on
the vine. Something I had not been able to do in the past without this cold
frame. It is also portable. I plant the tomatoes right in the ground...sweet
peppers are in there also. Yummy!