Old 07-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Dan said:

Hi,

I was looking through the leaves along the road this past week, and I
noticed a leaf that was unknown to myself. I am hoping someone out
there could ID this leaf, I cannot find it anywhere online. Penny is
given for scale, the picture is very similar to the actual size:

http://home.ptd.net/~vstevans/web/LEAF.JPG

Was the stem flattened perpendicular to the plane of the leaf?
I'd guess some species of Populus. Bigtooth aspen, maybe?
(I know it occurs in NY state, and NJ is right next door.)

I'd agree with Pat - some sort of poplar. My guess would be Populus tremula
or European poplar due to the size and the pattern of serrations on the
leaf. This key may help:
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...s/f436-3.htm#C

pam - gardengal