Old 07-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
anton wrote:

"gasdoctor" wrote in message
.. .

Im moving to a new house in a village with a smallish garden.

I want to grow fruit as I like trees and it sounds rewarding etc

I figure on apple but which is gowing to be the easiest etc for a
newbie. Obviously oranges may not be realistic

I was amazed when I moved here to a house which had some established plum
trees, how good the plums tasted when they were allowed to ripen on the
tree. I'd never liked plums before- supermarkets & greengrocers have to
have them picked when hard & the plums never ripne properly. (You can also
get the sweet Santa Rosa type plums on supermarkets these days, but compared
ot proper plum, they're just bags of sweet juice.)

For a fruit experience you can't get at the shops, pick a plum.

Don't choose Victoria; don't prune in winter.

If you have the space, go for a greengage and a damson (both traditional
varieties). If not, choose one :-)

The older, small varieties are likely to need less coddling, and have
a better flavour. Farleigh Prune is a damson with enough sloe flavour
to make dishes that really taste of something.

And plums typically have white flowers in spring where apples have pink.
Both are very decorative.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.