Old 07-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sadie" wrote

I have about 12 to 15' x 9 to 12' in the North East facing corner of my
garden with two 6' walls so I should be able to make two areas to keep
shed and greenhouse areas separate, is this just so everything
stays/looks tidy?

Yes, there is nothing more unsightly than an untidy greenhouse, it should be
part of the garden especially in the summer. A place of interest. It also
keeps the greenhouse free of places for pests and disease to lurk.

I do intend having water and electicity laid on so your recommendations
about heating and automatic vents will be accommodated.

Good, it makes such a difference to ease of use and the husbandry of your
plants.

I am so new to gardening (about 4-5 years) I don't know what I want to
grow, so far I have had great pleasure in taking cuttings and I think I
would like to have some tender plants that would need overwintering but
I work full time and find I can't give enough time to look after seeds
properly (although it doesn't usually stop me trying), I want to give
everything a go.

Great. You will have some spectacular successes and some dismal failures
(just like the rest of us!) The thing is to learn by the failures, read up
and understand why they happened and try again.

I can see this developing over the next few years into an all consuming
hobby that will see me well into retirement (not for a few years yet
though). I won't be replacing the greenhouse/shed I get now when I
retire so I am planning for it to last for at least the next thirty
years.

Welcome to the passion of growing plants.

--
Regards
Bob