Old 07-11-2004, 04:08 PM
George Pontis

I've often used clay pots for specimen plants in tanks with UGF's.
The biggest advantage is that you can use fertilizer tabs or spikes -
which otherwise dissolve too quickly in a UGF system. The small hole
in the bottom is just big enough to prevent toxins and such-like to
build up in the pot over time. Also, I've never had good luck with
crypts in ugf tanks except in nice deep pots. Some Echindorus
varieties which might otherwise grow too big for a small tank can be
kept 'stunted' by confining their root systems to relatively small
pots.

Hmmm, planting in a pot when using a UGF/RUGF. Good idea!

As far as containing the roots of a plant, I stumbled across the same idea when
looking at the aquarium stone sold at the LFS. They have a stock of "Feller"
carved stone, looks like rainbow sandstone, that comes with in various sizes and
numbers of holes. The price is based on the number of holes and starts around $4-
5. They are usually placed on the gravel with the holes horizontal so fish can get
their jollies swimming through them. I picked up a couple to try laying flat on
the gravel as open bottom planters. The stone may have some value protecting the
roots when vacuuming as well as adding some elevation and interest.