Old 07-11-2004, 03:50 PM

In a message dated 11/7/04 7:38:54 AM, SteveWachs writes:
What were the leaf colors in the spring, then summer then fall?

As I wrote, new leaves are light yellowish green with a red edge, summer
leaves are plain green, and in fall they gradually turned to a deep red.
The mature bark does not turn color in the fall. It remains dark charcoal
gray. It is not 'Sango Kaku' or anything like that.

It may also be no particular cultivar.

I'm aware of that. What is more likely is that it may be a seedling of a
known cultivar. I just thought I would ask on the chance that someone may
recognize it from the description.

*One of the reasons Japanese maples are grafted in the first place is to*
maintain their unique characters and*it's the only way to maintain the
Characteristics of a particular cultivar.

True, but many cultivars can be cutting grown & remain true to name. My
'Butterfly' is proof of that. Also, the other reason maples & fruit trees are
grafted is to extend their hardiness, which is not such a problem with bonsai.
Despite the drawbacks, dedicated growers keep trying to produce Japanese maples
from cuttings for the bonsai trade.
The big problem with this maple is that it was left in its nursery cube way
too long, so the bottom of the trunk is like an old-fashioned Chinese woman's
foot, all knotted up with a dead lump in the middle. When I got it, there was a
terrible strangler root. I can't tell if it was originally a seedling or a
cutting. I was thinking of air-layering it, but I was told that is too risky
with Japanese maples. This winter, I will cut out all the dead area & treat the
bottom of the trunk with root hormone.
Iris
A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense. - Woody Allen

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++