Old 07-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Jim Lewis

On 7 Nov 2004 at 19:18, Henrik Gistvall wrote:

MartyWeiser wrote:

Iris and all,

I have had great luck in developing good nebari on Japanese Maples through
drastic root pruning over a period of years. I have had less success with
airlayering.

What has been the problem with the airlayering? I´m planning an airlayer
this spring on a basic A palmatum. Was an dissectum graft but it died
back. Three suckers developed from the base and I have trained it like a
multi trunk. Now I need to airlayer it. Any tips for success? (I might
add that rooting hormones is illegal in Sweden so I have to do without).

My guess is growing season. I layered a J. maple (in 2 spots)
this spring from my Mom's yard, where we're slowly clearing all
the planted stuff in order to let Ma Nature have her way with
it.

I removed them both today. Both had nice white (but VERY
tender) roots growing through to the plastic. I made no attempt
to remove the spaghnum; just planted each, moss and all, in its
own terra cotta pot filled with good (NOT that fine junk you get
from HD) potting soil, and set them out in protected locations
in my yard where the watering system can reach them (as long as
it's on; it goes off when freezing temps are likely).

But I layered both in February, and only this week saw roots
reaching the plastic. That's a pretty long time. Not sure that
Marty in Oregon (?), and Henrik in Sweden would have enough
growing time to develop one outdoors from a planted tree. One
in a pot could be brought indoors and given better conditions
for root development.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --