Old 07-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Dan Charette

Hi Mark...

I'm in Omaha and I've worked with moving Rosemary in and out through
summers and winters. I've learned a few things in the process.
Rosemary is very temperamental when it is in a pot. One, it doesn't
like excessive watering. Two, it's important to have a soil mixture
in your pot that has reasonably good drainage but not to the point of
being sand with no moisture holding ability at all. I have my plants
in a pot with a 50/50 mixture of fine silty sand and some regular
garden soil. I've found that it's also necessary to "massage" the
plants in a sense. That is that you need to get movement to the
leaves and stems somehow either via a small fan every now and then or
just ruffling the stems with your hands. And also, you need to trim
on it every now and then. It seems to me that when the plant is inert
and not interacted with physically, growth is very sparse and can be
somewhat stemmy. But when the plant is exposed to some physical
stress via a small breeze, the plant seems to grow a little more
resilient. Also, regular cuttings seem to promote new growth. Don't
give up on the plant just yet or panic by over watering what's going
on now. Just try to ease the stress the plant is seeing by trying to
make the transistion from garden to house more smooth. Make sure
you're giving it similar light conditions and soil conditions. Also,
temperature is important. My plant lives in a southern window on a
concrete floor. I've found that the evening cooling is important.
Remember, the plants origins are in a Mediterranean in a cooler zone
where sometimes it can be just above freezing. I've been trying to
grow Rosemary in this region for about 15 years now. And I've finally
seemed to have found that balance that is close enough to work. I've
got three different varieties in a single 5 gallon black plastic pot
that has been going on about 3 years with steady growth. So, just
keep experimenting and don't lose hope.

Dan