Old 07-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:01:23 -0600, Mark Anderson
wrote:

I think I did something stupid. A couple of weeks ago the weathermen
forecast night time temps in the 20s here in Chicago, Zone 5. I panicked
and brought in all the house plants. I also brought in my Rosemary bush
which is 1 1/2 years old, which I nurtured inside all last winter under
fluorescents. I placed the bush under fluorescents and for some reason
it just started dying. There is some green in the leaves but it doesn't
look good, a lot of stems have completely died. The root system is big
and it grew in a 24" wide container. I really hoped I could overwinter
it inside and have it get huge for next summer. Now it looks hopeless.

Does anyone have any idea as to how to save this? I can't believe the
root system would just die off like that. If I cut the entire plant down
will the roots spawn new stems? I since moved the plant from
fluorescents and placed it under my new HID High Pressure Sodium lights
for my indoor winter garden. It gets 14 hours of "sunlight" now.

The new light may work. My rosemary bushes live outside (Zone 7) all
year. Be extra careful about overwatering, quick drainage, and no
fertilizer. You could also try to start new plants from cuttings (I
got 4 successful rootings from 7 cuttings). Generally cuttings will
root well under fluorescent lighting.