Old 07-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Dada

Ray:
Interesting point that you mentioned about the stomata being open during the
night. Can you provide me with any reference where you got the information.
I would like to read more on this topic.

Thanks
Dada

"Ray" wrote in message
The degree of benefit is determined, to some degree, but the type of

orchid.
Some orchids - notably phalaenopsis, as they are so commonly grown - have

type of metabolism in which their stomata are only open at night, to

absorb
moisture from the air during the cooler hours when the relative humidity

is
higher, but are closed in the daytime as a ploy to reduce moisture loss

from
within the plants' leaves. Because of that, misting with nutrient

solution
in the daytime will not be readily absorbed.

Do not think that switching your misting to the nighttime will be better,

as
while the plants might actually absorb something, you will also be setting
them up for bacterial or fungal rot, as both types of critters do very

well
in cool, moist conditions.

The bottom line is that if you feed the plants properly when you water,
that's sufficient. Not to mention their leaves will stay cleaner and
healthier.

.
"Sarah" wrote in message
Hi all!

Are there benefits to misting with mildly fertilized water as opposed to
plain water? I live in a very dry climate so I mist every day.

Thanks!

Sarah