Old 07-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message

Oxymel of Squill wrote:

lilies don't like moving water, so most set ups with fish are
unsuitable, unless you can arrange a quiet cornere out of any
currents

I had 2 lilies in the fish pond and neither flowered, the koi
attacked one, fatally! I moved the survivor into a stagnant

pool
and it has flowered prolifically this year and last

That makes sense - I could put them in the corner away from the
fountain . I'll try that - thank you.

A fountain in it? Thats probably it. In such a small pond you
probably need a fountain to avoid the water getting stagnant. But
its only a M sq, so you arent going to be able to move the lily

very
far away are you :-)
I suggest you dig a bigger pond.

One other thought, in a hot summer the water is going to warm up
very fast, much more so that in a bigger (especially deeper) pond.
It may also be too warm for them at the height of the summer.

Could be, it is in shade, but it gets pretty hot in summer. I did

say
that it was a small pond - not a lake! There isn't the space for a
bigger one where it is, so I'll have to stick with what is there

Ah, I don't think you mentioned the shade. That's yer problem,
squire. As far as I know all water-lilies absolutely must get about
half a day's real sunlight, at least. Unless somebody knows better, I
don't think they're likely to do well in that position.

On the question of moving water, isn't it the case that they don't
mind the movement itself, but that the circulation may lower the
water-temperature?

Mike.