Old 07-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Could be, it is in shade, but it gets pretty hot in summer. I did

say
that it was a small pond - not a lake! There isn't the space for a
bigger one where it is, so I'll have to stick with what is there

Ah, I don't think you mentioned the shade. That's yer problem,
squire. As far as I know all water-lilies absolutely must get about
half a day's real sunlight, at least. Unless somebody knows better, I
don't think they're likely to do well in that position.

Quite right, they need as much sun as possible, and at least a few hours a
day.

On the question of moving water, isn't it the case that they don't
mind the movement itself, but that the circulation may lower the
water-temperature?

Slight water movement is tolerated but a raging torrent certainly won't be.
What they really hate is their leaves getting splashed with water constantly
such as a fountain would do.

So, your problem is lack of sunlight and water splashed on the leaves. One
is easily cured the other means moving your pond.
And, 3 lilies in a 1metre sq pond? unless they are the smallest varieties
then that's two to many.

--
Regards
Bob