Old 08-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Franz Heymann

"will" wrote in message
I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very

keen to
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing

currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.

If there is a mature sycamore in a 6m x 4 m garden, the rest of the
planting will surely have to be limited to shade-loving plants, unless
it is right in a N, NW or NE corner of the space. Where is the house
in relation to this?

I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes),

climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a

berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful

plant and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially

welcome.

If you really want to attract birds, there is nothing to beat a nut
container or two, slung from the sycamore and kept replenished right
through the year.

Franz