Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Kay

In article , will will.nospam
writes
I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very keen to
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.
I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes), climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful plant and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially welcome.

The sycamore is going to limit your growing opportunities, blocking
light and making the soil under it dry, though all the things you
mention are OK for shade.

I find my R rugosa has more bird life than R moyesii - whether that's
the bigger hips or that it's nearer the feeders, I don't know.

You have fruit, but no obvious seeds. Lavender's good, but you'll be too
shady. Also things like teasel, thistles, grasses .. or you could just
try a nyjer feeder.

The other big food source is insects
and other creepy crawlies. Don't be too tidy - don't clear rotting
vegetation, be happy about piles of logs, heaps of stones and so on (and
obviously, don't use pesticides) - remember, birds are just one part of
a food chain.

And investigate the Garden Bird Watch at www.bto.org
--
Kay