Old 08-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Martin Sykes

"will" wrote in message
I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very keen
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.
I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes), climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a
berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful plant
and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially welcome.

thanks

will

When you say 'middle of London', how built up is it? If there are any parks
near you, try sitting there for half an hour so you can find out what birds
are in your area. Then you can plan the planting to attract them. I've gone
for native hedging around most of my garden. with more ornamental shrubs
interspersed - hawthorn, blackthorn, holly. But the one which gets most
attention is the leycesteria (pheasant berry) which the blackbird loves.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )