Old 08-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Sacha

On 8/11/04 7:47, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Dunno. I have heard that it is a bit cold for it to set fruit here.
Anyway, the flowers are edible - I hope to have enough to add to a
fruit salad next year (they are sweetish).

Nick.

My ex-mil grew it in Jersey, in the garden. I don't think it ever set
fruit.

Not even in Jersey? Not much hope for my daughter's in Norfolk, then...

Afraid not, though I will check next time I talk to her. The story behind
this is that she acquired it *many* years ago - probably about 25 - when it
was still a little known plant in this country. She and a friend who was
another keen gardener had a friendly rivalry going as to who had recently
found the rarest, most unusual, trickiest etc. plant and said friend was
coming to lunch and mil was pretty sure the Feijoa would confound her.
Instead, when she took her chum into the garden and said "what do you think
of *that*?" the friend said "Oh a Feijoa - how lovely. Tell me, does it
fruit with you?" Collapse of mil! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk