Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Sacha

On 8/11/04 10:31, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
My ex-mil grew it in Jersey, in the garden. I don't think it ever set
fruit.

snip

But just a thought - did she have only one? Might it take two to tango?

This has a lot of info:
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/feijoa.html

And says:
"Flowers: The 1*inch showy, bisexual flowers, borne singly or in a cluster,
have long, bright red stamens topped with large grains of yellow pollen.
Flowers appear late, from May through June. Each flower contains four to six
fleshy flower petals that are white tinged with purple on the inside. These
petals are mildly sweet and edible and can make a refreshing addition to
spring salads. Birds eating the petals pollinate the flower.

It has been said that feijoa pollen is transferred by birds that are
attracted to and eat the flowers, but bees are the chief pollinators. Most
flowers pollinated with compatible pollen show 60 to 90% fruit set. Hand
pollination is nearly 100% effective. Two or more bushes should be planted
together for cross-pollination unless the cultivar is known to be
self-compatible. Poor bearing is usually the result of inadequate
pollination. "

So perhaps you should dash out and get another. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk