Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Keith Hooker" wrote in message
Small birds are wary of predators so plants that give them cover are as
attractive to them as those that provide food. I have introduced Hebe's

my garden and they are always full of birds, it may help that I grow

Verbena
through them and they love the long stems.

I also have three feeders, one for peanuts, one for seed and one that I

made
for feeding meal worms to robins - but the sparrows like them as well!

On the subject of mealworms. They are fiendishly expensive. Did you know
there is an alternative? It is called 'Bogena universal'. Sort of a dry
crumbly stuff with insects fruit and all kinds of good things in. I get a
drum of it ecery year especially for the insect eaters and find the robins,
wrens etc love the stuff. I have reared fledgling blackbirds and thrushes on
the stuff too. IIRC there is also a Bogena insectivorous.