Old 08-11-2004, 04:26 PM
JennyC

"will" wrote in message
Thanks to v. helpful respondents so far

It's a front garden facing east, so will get some morning sun. Also the
crown of the tree has been lifted so it's not completely overwhelming. But
yes, I need ideas for dry shade.

Have a look at the excellent URG FAQ 'plants for shade":
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm

I am also keen to encourage other wildlife (my equally small but sunny back
garden will be planted for bees and butterflies - tips also welcome here).

Buddleia for the butterflies :~))

So yes, I will have a log pile and perhaps a 'creature tower' made from left
over building materials (I am currently building the house).

Gosh! A woodpile is a huge plus for any garden and will attract all sorts of
insects for the birds to feed on. With any luck you might even get a hedgehog to
inhabit it :~)

There will be a 2nd floor balcony opening into the crown of the tree

WOW !! sounds amazing - wanna see pictures !
Will you make a terrace extending into the treetop ??

- a good place I guess for feeders - or would these be better at ground level?

Both would be good. I have a 1st floor roof garden and find the birds feed here
just as much as on the ground floor patio. http://tinyurl.com/hngi

I like the look of a leycesteria, and would love to have blackbirds
visiting. But will this thirve in the dry shade? Likewise with the hebes?
What other bushes do birds like to sit in that will cope with these
conditions?

See FAQ :~))

thanks will

Personally I think your best bet for the birds is indeed various sorts of
feeders. Unless you have a huge garden you'll never be able to grow enough
berries etc to feed the birds all winter.

Q: How large a garden would one need to do that ?

Jenny